Dr Joe Briscoe
MSci (Hons), PhD, FHEA, CSci, MIMMM, MInstP
In my research I combine expertise in solution-based synthesis of nanostructured thin films (e.g. nanorods/nanowires, mesoporous films) with the fabrication and testing of a range of sustainable energy devices. Specifically I have expertise in photovoltaics (PVs), photocatalysis/photoelectrocatalysis (PEC) and piezoelectric energy harvesters (nanogenerators). I am particularly interested in how multiple functionalities can interact within these devices, for example electrical polarisation in ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials with light absortion and charge separation.
Please see the 'Funding' tab for more information on specific projects
Research Areas and Expertise
- Synthesis of nanostructured functional materials, e.g. light-absorber, charge transport layers, photocatalyst (PC) and photoelectrocatalyst (PEC) materials, ferroelectrics, piezoelectrics.
- Fabrication and testing of inorganic and hybrid devices including:
- Dye-sensitised solar cells (DSSCs)
- Hybrid organic inorganic lead halide perovskites
- Quantum dot-sensitised solar cells
- Inorganic/organic hybrid nanostructured PVs.
- Flexible devices, including nanogenerators.
- Material characterisation including SEM, XRD, XPS, UV-Vis spectroscopy, PL, AFM/PFM, EIS, etc..