Postgraduate Taught Programme FAQs

How do I apply for a taught master's programme?

The preferred method is using the online application system. Each individual application can be found on the corresponding subject page.

What supporting documentation should I submit with my application?

You will need to provide the following documents:

  • Transcripts from your previous university education showing subjects and grades (which must be translated in English).
  • Proof of English Proficiency (for international non-native English speaking applicants) – either the IELTS test with a minimum overall score of 6.5 or the TOEFL test with a minimum overall score of 237 (computer based test). Please see for further details.
  • One letter of academic reference (please try and have this available before you apply, or, arrange for it to be sent directly to the postgraduate admissions coordinator as references are not requested on your behalf)
  • A recent curriculum vitae
  • Statement of Purpose

Is there an application deadline?

The School strongly advises that applicants submit their applications before the 30th July in the year the programme commences.  Applications submitted after this may not be considered.  International applicants are urged to submit applications by the end of May, to ensure enough time to apply for visa’s etc and to book on campus accommodation. 

When will my master's programme start?

The masters’ programmes in the School of Engineering and Materials commence in mid-September each year.  Unfortunately there is not a January or February intake for any of the masters’ programmes that are offered.

Can I apply for a master's if I have results pending?

Yes – you can apply for a master's degree if your results are pending providing you will get your results before August in the year you start your studies.  If your application is successful and you get an offer of a place, any offer you receive will be conditional on your pending results.  As soon as you get your results please send them to the admissions team so that they can update your record and status.

Can I visit the campus before I decide to apply?

Yes – the College organises a postgraduate open evening each year.  These are usually advertised on the website at least a month prior to the event and you would need to book a place.

If you are unable to attend an open day you can attend one of our virtual open days.

You can also contact the department at anytime during the year to make an appointment if you wish to speak to a tutor about your intended programme of study.

I am an international student - can I get help with my application?

Yes – you may wish to contact one of our authorised local representatives for assistance with the online application process. Representatives can help you through the application process step by step and can upload documents. They do not charge for their services.  You can find information on your country and contact details of local representatives by visiting the international pages of the Queen Mary website.

Are there any scholarships available?

There are a number of schlarships available and you can find more information on the Queen Mary website at

What are the entry grade requirements?

The minimum entry requirements are a second class degree (or overseas equivalent), for more details visit our entry requirments pages.  Please note: MSc Dental Materials requires at least an upper second class degree (or overseas equivalent).

Who do I contact if I have a question?

You can e-mail us in the School of Engineering and Materials Science.

Further Information?

Please have a read of a new website designed to help prospective PGT students (from within or outside the EU) identify questions to ask themselves and universities when deciding what and where to study. There are also many links provided to other sources of relevant information about fees, visas and more.  

Steps to postgraduate study banner