Accreditation is a mark of assurance that a degree meets the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). An accredited degree will provide you with some or all of the underpinning knowledge, understanding and skills for eventual registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
The accreditation process ensures that our degrees meet the expected professional level by ensuring that:
- Our degrees prepare students to an excellent academic level
- The content of our degrees is relevant to industry
- We engage industry partners in the development and delivery of our degrees
- We recruit students that are well-qualified for the degree
- Our graduates progress to relevant and appropriate industry careers.
The professional accreditation is delivered by the Engineering Council, which is the UK regulatory body for the engineering profession. For accreditation details please check the relevant programme description.
The Professional Bodies we work with in SEMS are:
- Institution of Mechanical Engineering (IMechE)
- Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS)
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOMMM)