School of Engineering and Materials Science Research Studentships
EPSRC iCASE studentship in Nanostructured Filler Reinforced Elastomer Composites
Supervisors: James BUSFIELD
Application Deadline: 26-06-2020
Development of nanostructured reinforcing fillers to enhance physical and mechanical properties of elastomeric composites
An EPSRC iCASE funded PhD studentship opportunity has arisen based in the Soft Matter Group in the School of Engineering and Materials Science at Queen Mary University of London. The project collaborates with Schlumberger, the world’s leading supplier of technology, integrated project management and information solutions to the energy industry.
This PhD project will to develop novel elastomer composites for use in tools used in oil and gas and geothermal drilling operations. Elastomers are used as dynamic and static seals which are subjected to very large strains and rapid cyclical loading under extreme environments. Elastomers have to operate in extreme conditions that include high temperature and pressure regimes as well as encountering constant exposure to aggressive chemical environments. This project plans to identify and characterise suitable nano-reinforcement systems and establish the link between the reinforcing material morphology and the mechanical and physical properties of the resulting composite materials.
The project suits graduates from a chemistry, chemical engineering, engineering or materials science background. The project will comprise experimental studies at QMUL (supervised by Prof. James Busfield) and the Schlumberger Cambridge Research facility (supervised by Dr Julien Ramier).
EPSRC Research Studentship Details
To be eligible for a full award (stipend and fees) applicants must have:
- settled status in the UK, meaning they have no restrictions on how long they can stay and
- been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to April 2021. This means they must have been normally residing in the UK (apart from temporary or occasional absences and
- Not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education (This does not apply to UK nationals). (See: https://epsrc.ukri.org/skills/students/help/eligibility/ for more details)
- Full Time programme only
- Applicant required to start in April 2021
- The studentship arrangement will cover tuition fees and provide an annual stipend for up to four years (Currently set as £20,000 for 2020/21).
- The minimum requirement for this studentship opportunity is a good Honours degree (minimum 2(i) honours or equivalent) or MSc/MRes in a relevant discipline.
- If English is not your first language you will require a valid English certificate equivalent to IELTS 6.5+ overall with a minimum score of 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in all sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking).
Supervisor Contact Details:
For informal enquiries about this position, please contact Prof James Busfield
Tel: 020 7882 8866
To apply for this studentship and for entry on to the Materials Science programme (Full Time) please follow the instructions detailed on the following webpage:
Research degrees in Materials:
Further Guidance: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/
Please be sure to include a reference to ‘2020 SEMS EPSRC CASE1 JJCB’ to associate your application with this studentship opportunity.