School of Engineering and Materials Science Research Studentships
Space Manipulators: Design, Dynamics, and Control
Supervisors: Angadh NANJANGUD
Application Deadline: 17-12-2020
Realizing the vision of constructing large space habitats and telescopes in a safe and efficient manner requires replacing human astronauts with intelligent space robots. This emerging technology, known as robotic on-orbit assembly (informally called in-space assembly), is of particular interest to various international space agencies and the UK space industry. This PhD research project will address the design and fabrication of a ground-based space robot simulator which has some of the intelligence necessary in an assembly context.
You would be a good fit for this project if you:
- have a strong understanding of applied mathematics (linear algebra, calculus, differential equations) and statistics (possibly including machine learning);
- have some knowledge on kinematics, dynamics, and control of spacecraft and robots;
- can think computationally and program (C++, Python, ROS);
- are a design thinker; and
- possess experience with microcontrollers and additive manufacturing would also be beneficial.
Some of the aforementioned skills would, ideally, have been picked up by an individual who has worked on personal robotics projects or team competitions. Most importantly you need to be highly motivated, diligent, and with the mindset of a hacker and maker.
QMUL Research Studentship Details
- Available to Home/EU Applicants only.
- Full Time programme only
- Applicant required to start in April 2021
- The studentship arrangement will cover tuition fees and provide an annual stipend for up to three years (Currently set as £17,285 in 2020/21).
- The minimum requirement for this studentship opportunity is a good Honours degree (minimum 2(i) honours or equivalent) or MSc/MRes in a relevant discipline.
- If English is not your first language you will require a valid English certificate equivalent to IELTS 6.5+ overall with a minimum score of 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in all sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking).
- Please note that this studentship is only available to Home/EU Applicants. (See: http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/feestatus/ for details)
Supervisor Contact Details:
For informal enquiries about this position, please contact Dr. Angadh Nanjangud
To apply for this studentship and for entry on to the Aerospace Engineering programme (Full Time) please follow the instructions detailed on the following webpage:
Research degrees in Engineering:
Further Guidance: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/
Please be sure to include a reference to ‘2020 SEMS AN’ to associate your application with this studentship opportunity.