Confocal and Super-resolution Microscopy Facility
Within the School of Engineering and Materials Science we have the following three confocal microscope systems
LSM 710 ELYRA PS.1 is a combination of an inverted laser scanning confocal microscopy 710 (LSM 710) with super resolution imaging microscopy ELYRA PS.1: photo activated localization microscopy (PALM)/Stochastic Optical Resolution Microscopy (STORM) and structured illumination microscopy (SIM). It is suitable for imaging targeting at 10-100nm resolution at single molecule level. In addition, Zen 2012 software, motorised X/Y stage, definite focus, TIRF mode make it capable of acquisition of tiling, multiple positions, time lapse, FRAP and FRET. It has a on stage environment chamber with a 35mm petri dish adaptor linked with a CO2/N2 controller for live cell imaging including hypoxic experiments. Furthermore, it comes with an offline data processing workstation.
- EC Plan-Neofluar10x/0.3 M27,
- EC Plan-Neofluar20x/0.5 M27,
- Plan-Apochromat 63x/1.4 Oil DIC M27,
- Plan-Apochromat 100x/1.46 Oil DIC M27
- LSM 710: Diode laser 405nm (30mW), Ar/ML 458/488/514nm (35mW), HeNe 543nm (1 mW), HeNe 633 nm (5mW)
- SIM/PALM: HR Diode 405nm (50mW), HR Diode 488nm (100mW), HR DPSS 561nm (100mW), HR Diode 642nm (150mW)
- sCMOS for SIM, EMCCD for PALM
Leica TCS SP2 combines an inverted laser scanning confocal microscope with MaiTai multiphoton microscope. It has four confocal laser lines and a multiphoton infrared laser line , an environment chamber and a Eppendorf micromanipulator which make it suitable for high resolution imaging acquisition for cell and tissue samples including live imaging and FRAP.
- HC PL FLUOTAR 10x/0.3,
- HC PL FLUOTAR 20x/0.5,
- HCX PL APO 40x/1.25-0.754 Oil,
- HCX PL APO 63x/1.40-0.60 Oil
- LSM TCS SP2: Coherent Enterprise Ion laser 351nm (90mW), Ar 488nm (125mW), HeNe 543nm (1.5 mW),
- HeNe 633 nm (1.5mW)
- MaiTai Multiphoton: Maitai BB-067 Ti:sapphire 650-1100nm (4W)
- LEICA DFC420C CCD camera for epifluorescence and brightfield imaging (optional)
PerkinElmer UltraView imaging system is an inverted spinning disk confocal microscope with 488/586nm laser lines, with an INTRACEL temperature controller and a Narishige micromanipulator, suitable for fast dynamic fluorescent and bright field live imaging such as organelle trafficking, calcium imaging, chromatin and cell dynamics.
- Plan APO 4x/0.2,
- Plan APO 10x/0.45 DIC L,
- LWD 40x/0.55 PH1 ADL,
- Plan APO 60x/1.4 Oil DICH
- Omnichrome 488nm and 568nm (100mW)
- HAMAMATSU ORCA-ER C4742-80 CCD camera
Leica DMI4000B is an inverted epifluorescence widefield (WF) microscope suitable for bright field (BF), phase contrast (PH) acquisition and epifluroscence imaging with DAPI, FITC, TRITC, and Texas Red filters on fixed cell and tissue samples (<20µm thickness).
- N PLAN 2.5x/0.07
- HCX PL FLUOTAR 10x/0.3 PH1,
- HCX PL FLUOTAR 20x/0.5 PH2,
- HI Plan I 40x/0.5 PH2,
- HCX PL FLUOTAR 63x/1.25 Oil PH3
- LEICA DFC300 FX CCD camera for epifluorescence and brightfield imaging