SEMS Induction and Welcome Week September 2017
Welcome to the School of Engineering and Materials Science induction schedule and information pages.
New Students to SEMS
If you are joining Queen Mary for the fist time, please take a few moments to read the SEMS Introduction and Frequently Asked Questions section. This deals with recommended preparation work, books, assessments etc.
You will also need to read and understand the College's Essential Information covering important topics such as pre-enrolment (once you have completed pre-enrolment you will need to download and print a Pre-enrolment Certificate which you need to bring along to enrolment as it contains a scannable barcode which makes accessing your details more straightforward and speed up the enrolment process) and fee payments etc. First year modules are mostly all compulsory but there are a few programmes where you will need to register for modules. This is done via MySiS.
Some useful films can be seen at the following links below:
- Welcome to our new QMUL students College page
- Play list Information for new students, where films are hosted from various support services within the College.
- Student Finance
- Financial hardship
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact the School Office, third floor, Engineering Building.
For accommodation enquiries click here.
Good luck in your chosen degree and we hope you enjoy your studies at QMUL.
If you are an overseas student who requires a Biometric Resident Permit you will need to collect this from your designated Post Office before you can complete your enrolment.
Student with child care issues
There is a Students with children webpage which explains eligibility for student finance and welfare benefits according to individual circumstances, how to claim benefits, how student income is treated in a benefit assessment, financial help available to parents from QMUL, childcare options and budgeting.
SEMS Schedule of Induction Events for New and Returning Students
Below you will find the School's compulsory induction sessions for you to attend. Please take time to read through the timetable so you know what to expect and ensure you have the relevant paperwork ready to enrol, this information will be sent to you by the Student Enquiry Centre once your place has been confirmed.
For those of you who will be travelling from abroad please ensure you arrive in time to attend all the relevant sessions.
Welcome Week operates a totally different timetable. Below are timetables for individual year cohorts. Timetables will be uploaded here in PDF format for new and returning students shortly:
- 1st year (new intake)
- International/EU Students Welcome timetable
- 2nd year
- 3rd year
- 4th year
- 2nd and 3rd year direct entry
- Intercalated students
Your lecture timetable will be on MySIS. You will also be able to find timetables on QM+ and MySIS. These timetables are available during welcome week.
Queen Mary Welcome Week Events
Apart from our induction events, there are many more activities taking place during the week.
Advice from The Careers and Enterprise Centre
As you begin your time at Queen Mary, you will be shaping your future employment as well as your academic life. Take this time before the start of the year to think about the ways in which you could do the following two things, which will make you a more impressive candidate when applying for jobs after graduation:
- Find an extra-curricular activity that you enjoy and use it to develop your skills. There are a huge number of opportunities available through Queen Mary Students Union: get ideas at www.qmsu.org and www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/workexperience
- In additional to any part-time work that you do, undertake at least 100 hours of work experience in a professional organisation before you enter your second year. This could be in any area of work, paid or unpaid, and needs to challenge you, demonstrating your initiative and a couple of other skills. We can help you find work experience through your own networks or our work experience hub: www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/qmprojects and www.careers.qmul.ac.uk/qrecruit
We can assist you with finding and applying for part time work or work experience through one-to-one appointments in the Careers and Enterprise Centre and activities in your School run by your School Careers Consultant. See our website for more information www.careers.qmul.ac.uk.
Advice and Counselling Service
As you begin your time at Queen Mary, you may from time to time require Advice or Counselling. Here is a short animated film explaining what Advice and Counselling Service does.