School of Engineering and Materials Science Research Studentships
2D Materials for energy storage applications
Supervisors: Patrick CULLEN
Application Deadline: 30-10-2020
This is a unique opportunity for a dynamic and ambitious experimental researcher. Candidates should have interests that include the creation, development and understanding of materials for energy and sustainability applications (Li-ion/Na-ion batteries, fuel cells, supercapacitors, redox-flow cells, thermoelectrics); advanced characterisation of materials and devices over a range on length scales; and incorporation of new materials into working devices. Also included in this PhD will be the scale up of a nanomaterials production process, with the opportunity to be involved with commercialization of research. Candidates must have a degree in chemical engineering, chemistry, materials science, physics or an associated discipline. They must also be able to demonstrate their ability to safely conduct scientific experiments and analyse, interpret and communicate research data.
Applicants are required to submit a brief description (as a cover letter) to explain the motivation behind their application, their research interests and how will this PhD help their future careers.
QMUL Research Studentship Details
- Available to Home/EU Applicants only.
- Full Time programme only
- Applicant required to start in January 2021
- The studentship arrangement will cover tuition fees and provide an annual stipend for up to three years (Currently set as £17,285 in 2020/21).
- The minimum requirement for this studentship opportunity is a good Honours degree (minimum 2(i) honours or equivalent) or MSc/MRes in a relevant discipline.
- If English is not your first language you will require a valid English certificate equivalent to IELTS 6.5+ overall with a minimum score of 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in all sections (Reading, Listening, Speaking).
- Please note that this studentship is only available to Home/EU Applicants. (See: http://www.welfare.qmul.ac.uk/money/feestatus/ for details)
Supervisor Contact Details:
For informal enquiries about this position, please contact Dr Patrick Cullen
To apply for this studentship and for entry on to the Chemical Engineering programme (Full Time) please follow the instructions detailed on the following webpage:
Research degrees in Engineering:
Further Guidance: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/postgraduate/research/
Please be sure to include a reference to ‘2020 SEMS PLC’ to associate your application with this studentship opportunity.