MAT616: Materials Industrial Experience for 2011/12
Students will be helped to secure a work placement through a range of new initiatives in a company appropriate to the programme. The work placement will normally be a year in length but not less than 6 months. Successful students with a placement will each be allocated a tutor, a SEMS academic in a relevant field, who will wherever practical visit the student twice in the year. Where a visit is not possible the tutor will ensure that there is email and telephone contact with the student. SEMS will also identify a mentor in the workplace at each employer. This person is likely to be their line manager and will be expected to support as well as line-manage the student. Students completing the module will be required to
• work on a project that will allow them to follow a pathway toward CEng registration approximately three years after graduation;
• maintain a training diary to be reviewed by their tutor during and after the placement is completed;
• attend at least one Industrial Liaison Forum to share their experience with other SEMS students;
• deliver one seminar at QMUL to promote future opportunities at their sponsor;
• complete a final report on the placement.